Being a homeowner can give you a sense of pride, belonging, success, and security. It can also be stressful, and takes responsibility and time. At Reliable Home Improvement, we want to help you make the most of your home and enjoy home ownership. Here are a few tips and resources to help you enjoy your exciting new home, or beloved old home.
Get Financially Ready to Purchase a Home
Finding out whether you’re financially ready to purchase a first home or upgrade to a new home is the first step towards home ownership success. Speak to your mortgage adviser and look to online homeowner resources that can help you determine your financial readiness.
As yourself a few simple questions:
- Do you have a steady job or reliable long term source of income?
- Do you have enough for a significant down-payment?
- Do you have an emergency fund?
- Have you researched local programs to help first time buyers?
Home ownership requires hard work but can be rewarding
Increase the Value of Your Home
It is possible to increase your selling price by 35% according to Consumer Reports, a valuable homeowner resource. Consider increasing your home value with the following:
- Kitchen remodeling
- Increasing usable square footage with a remodeled basement
- Minimizing clutter and keeping it clean
- Adding a dedicated laundry room
- Choosing smart appliances
Stay aware of market value for your neighborhood – and don’t spend more than you can hope to re-gain.
A remodeled kitchen can add value to your home
Save Money on Home Expenses
Home ownership can be expensive, in terms of maintenance, bills and unexpected repairs and replacements. Here are a few tips to keep costs down:
- Invest in new windows and insulation to save energy in the long run
- Choose a tankless hot water heater to save energy on bills long term
- Keep up with maintenance tasks to avoid serious repairs and replacements
- Look to the Department of Energy’s Energy Saver website for more ideas to help you make financially smart energy decisions.
Invest in Insurance
For any home owner, insurance is a must. However, finding the best plan to meet your needs can be a challenge. NerdWallet can help you find the best home insurance policy for you.
Share With Friends and Neighbors
Keeping your home clean and clutter free takes time but is worth the effort. When getting rid of old clothing, furniture or even unused cleaning products, use apps like Nextdoor to find a new local home for the items you no longer need. You’ll likely find things you need yourself in the For Sale & Free section of the app too.
Contact Reliable Home Improvement
If you know your home needs improving but don’t know where to start, we can help. Whether you’ve just moved in or are looking to sell, our design experts can help make your new house a home, and make your old home stand out on the market. Contact our team for home design, remodeling, quick fixes and more.